28000BPM WATCH AND CLOCK FORUM
welcome to the forum, please take some time to read the forum rules and introduce yourself in the newbies section.
enjoy your stay
Latest topics
Zetime smart watch Yesterday at 22:47Elwood
Forum shuttingYesterday at 22:04domecurb
Friday 18 August 2017.Fri Aug 18 2017, 10:16daff62
Wednesday 16th August 2017.Thu Aug 17 2017, 12:11daff62
Thursday 17th August 2017.Thu Aug 17 2017, 12:08daff62
Holiday watches Tue Aug 15 2017, 20:47Elwood
15th August 2017Tue Aug 15 2017, 10:31Robti
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Top posting users this month
46 Posts - 34%
46 Posts - 34%
16 Posts - 12%
10 Posts - 7%
8 Posts - 6%
6 Posts - 4%
5 Posts - 4%
August 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar

Like/Tweet/+1
Affiliates

visit Forumotion

Forumotion on Facebook Forumotion on Twitter Forumotion on YouTube Forumotion on Google+

View previous topicGo downView next topic
domecurb
Admin
http://28000bpm.forumotion.co.uk

what are you favourite watches and why

on Sat Nov 26 2016, 13:05
so...whats your favourite watches and why?

I have a LOT of watches , but really only 3 stand out for me even though i rarely wear them
the first is a Blue faced Orient Mako that my wife bought me for my 50th ahem...i mean...21st birthday Razz
stock photo as mine is buried somewhere Crying or Very sad

i love it because it was a gift and it is a good looking watch, however i dont wear it as the date dosent line up in its window Mad  and it would drive me bonkers Laughing  i have all the bits to sort it though Wink

the others that are non identicle twins:
Citizen crystron 8600 mid 70's

not the best photo, but was the only way i could get the one on the left to show the faceted crystal and fancy dial
i searched for one for about 15 years without success, the odd ones i came accross went for silly money, i even bid on a non runner from Australia, my reasoning being; even if i couldnt repair it at least i would actaully have one Laughing ..........it went for over £100 Shocked
but they are a bit like buses.........2 came along within 6 months of each and both work perfectly.
for me these are the pinnacle of quartz watch battle of the 70's, IMO nothing can touch them for quality or their technology at the time [ i dont include the tuning fork movements in this as they are not quartz].....even Swiss makers were surreptitiously using Japanese/Citizen designs, parts and movements Shocked [ and still do Wink ]
i did a little review here:  http://28000bpm.forumotion.co.uk/t104-citizen-crystron-8600

so there you go, if all my other watches   [ the hoard ] disappeared i would be happy to live with just these 3..........well sort of Razz
so what you got and why ?
SeikoJohn
Admin
http://www.28000bpm.forumotion.co.uk/

Re: what are you favourite watches and why

on Sat Nov 26 2016, 13:40
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Firstly I have this my Seiko 6309-7290 it is the first watch I bought a couple of year ago that got me into the hobby that is watch collecting . It is the style and the look that appeals to me

next is my Seiko 7548 this watch just oozes sex appeal to me no hassle of setting the date like an auto just pick it up and wear it . I really like the vintage style to it .

finally my first 007 I bought this early this year and sent it to Bruce he replaced the dial for a better one changed the hands and fitted a sapphire crystal . This is my dressy diver that I wear on special occasions

Roger the Dodger

on Sat Nov 26 2016, 14:52
My favourites are definitely the 'diver' style. I don't know why....I just like the look of them. And I prefer autos to quartz, though having said that, my latest aquisition, the Citizen Orca is a quartz, but I'll forgive it because it looks so nice! Very Happy
domecurb
Admin

on Sat Nov 26 2016, 17:33
@Roger the Dodger wrote:My favourites are definitely the 'diver' style. I don't know why....I just like the look of them. And I prefer autos to quartz, though having said that, my latest aquisition, the Citizen Orca is a quartz, but I'll forgive it because it looks so nice! Very Happy

Humph ! no pics? didnt happen lol!
daff62

on Sat Nov 26 2016, 19:46
A difficult choice for me as I think of most of my watches as favourites.  Very Happy

This is one of the first pocket watches I bought dating to 1815....

" />

apart from the workmanship of the movement it was also special to me being an Edinburgh (my home city) maker.

I've worn this 14ct white gold Benrus regularly over the years. I love the engraving on the case along with the style of the dial and hands.

" />

This 2nd World War military Omega stands out as it started me collecting wrist watches. It was also my one and only "deal" getting it as a trade for a pocket watch.

" />

Lastly would be this Seiko Skyliner. I bought this one many years ago as I loved the design & haven't come across another one since.

" />
Pip

on Sat Nov 26 2016, 21:19
@domecurb wrote:
@Roger the Dodger wrote:My favourites are definitely the 'diver' style. I don't know why....I just like the look of them. And I prefer autos to quartz, though having said that, my latest aquisition, the Citizen Orca is a quartz, but I'll forgive it because it looks so nice! Very Happy

Humph ! no pics? didnt happen  lol!

Trust me, you'll be seeing pics of Roger's Orca! But you won't mind, it's really nice Wink
Pip

on Sat Nov 26 2016, 21:30
Favourite? Depends what day of the week it is and what mood I'm in. I've got the 'nothing special' Seiko Quartz that's special to me as my Mum bought it for me on my 18th. I've got the first Seiko 5 I pulled apart and got working.
I've got a Sarb017 Alpinist which I adore.

I've got a Bellmatic which is a month/year for my wife's birthday.

And I've got a Helmet that basically doesn't work. (That's your mind that is, I didn't say anything rude at all!)

And plenty more, all of which are my favourite at one time or another!
Pip
Roger the Dodger

on Sat Nov 26 2016, 23:57
@domecurb wrote:

Pip did warn you.......

...have you had enough now? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
domecurb
Admin

on Sun Nov 27 2016, 00:02
@Roger the Dodger wrote:
@domecurb wrote:

Pip did warn you.......

...have you had enough now? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

that'l do Pig...that'l do

Elwood

on Sun Nov 27 2016, 10:48
Roger, I've seen the Orca before, but God it's stunning. Bruce, I like your choices though surprised you haven't added the Pantor to the list. As for me, my favourite are not necessarily my best. Much like some of the other posts, I've chosen them for sentimental reasons. For anyone who knows me, that a bit unusual as I'm not a sentimental type of bloke.
I also have a Seiko Bellmatic,  very similar to Pip's, and like SeikoJohn it was this Seiko which got me really interested in watches. It has been in my family since new and was originally owned by an Uncle though he gave it to my Dad in the 80s and it ended up with me as a teenager. Needless to say it went through many a drunken scrape. Then when my Uncle was dying of cancer a couple of years ago he told me he always regretted giving the watch to my father and didn't know what happened to it, at which point I got it refurbished and sent it to him as a little present. Now it's back with me again!

The other watch I would keep was also given to me by a family member.  It must have an interesting history as the relative who owned it knew the Castros in Cuba and US presidents alike. He also worked for NASA during the time of the moon landings

domecurb
Admin

on Sun Nov 27 2016, 11:49
@Elwood
i think i didnt add the Pantor [ which i love ] as i only included watches that are not for sale ever Smile as for the rest....cross my palm with the appropriate weight in silver and you just never know Wink
Elwood

on Sun Nov 27 2016, 13:01
@domecurb wrote:@Elwood
i think i didnt add the Pantor [ which i love ] as i only included watches that are not for sale ever Smile as for the rest....cross my palm with the appropriate weight in silver and you just never know Wink

I assumed the Pantor would fall into the not for sale category. Now I know the rest can be bought I'll dust down the cheque book. Hahaha!
domecurb
Admin

on Sun Nov 27 2016, 13:23
@Elwood wrote:
@domecurb wrote:@Elwood

I assumed the Pantor would fall into the not for sale category.  Now I know the rest can be bought I'll dust down the cheque book.  Hahaha!

i love it, its a stunning watch and i cant fault it, but it has no meaning to me..... Sad
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum